May 23, 2016
Do you have a spinal compression fracture or collapsed spine causing you pain or discomfort? A Kyphoplasty surgical procedure may be right for you! So what exactly is Kyphoplasty, and why might it be right option for you?
What is a Kyphoplasty?
Kyphoplasty is an outpatient procedure for patients with a collapsed vertebral body (spine) or spinal compression fracture due to weak bones or trauma.
How is the Kyphoplasty procedure done at Southside Pain Specialists?
- large cannula are inserted into the vertebrae and the collapsed vertebrae is filled with cement to replace the missing or weak bone.
- The procedure can be conducted in-office; it takes approximately 45 minutes to be completed.
How long does it take to recover from a Kyphoplasty procedure?
- It normally only takes 1 hour for recovery after the procedure.
- Immobilization or bracing is typically required for a short period of time. One can generally resume normal function within 48 hours.
Benefits of a Kyphoplasty procedure
- Restores density to the vertebral body by filling the cavity with cement.
- Can prevent further weakening and pain from a compression fracture or collapsed spine.
Our Experience in Kyphoplasty
- Kendrick has performed over 100 cases himself.
- Both Dr. Kendrick and Dr. Fulmer are highly trained in using Medtronic, and Kyphon devices. In addition, Dr. Kendrick is also highly trained in using Stryker devices for a Kyphoplasty procedure.
What Southside Pain Specialists can do for you
With our extensive experience and knowledge in the field, Southside Pain Specialist can help relieve your pain and allow you to get on with your life. Want to know more about Kyphoplasty and the procedure involved? Contact us by filling out our online form or call us at 205-332-3155 today. Located at 1020 26th St. South, Suite 100, Birmingham, AL 35205.